Project 2 Ideas

My first instinct after the completion of the first project was to align myself towards the "pushing my first project further" group, though I find myself more and more appealed by the "mastering a tool" group as time goes on. Regardless, I've done some brainstorming in the same vein as the first project:

The World at Night:


I've had a particularly positive response to my previous project's world map laser-cut on acrylic. I, too, was very fond of that part of the project, and since its completion in my conversation with several people I've identified a possible followup project to it. Based on the above image, which is comprised of satellite imagery showing the light sources present on the Earth at nighttime, I would compose a new backlit black-acrylic piece. The laser-cutting would be engineered so that holes would be cut in the acrylic corresponding to the lights that are seen in the image, creating a striking physical counterpart to the image that many of us are already familiar with. The only concern I have with the idea at the moment is that I'd like it to be quite a bit larger than the previous piece, and the size limitation for material to be used in the laser cutter does not exceed the previous project by much. Thus, I would have to consider alternate methods of composing the physical product.

Expanding methodology:
(this could also be considered a viable candidate for "moving beyond comfort zone" material)
Part of the motivation I had for my previous project was based on designing for my surroundings; I created vector art that I envisioned being able to be adapted to my environment, and then researched and experimented with methods to bring it into reality. In this same vein I'd like to further the this incentive-based innovation by moving towards a medium even more geared towards my design sense: apparel. Knowing that vector art and screen-printing are already close in relation to one another, I'd like to move forth into the territory of DIY clothing design based on my own vector art. Operating from the original desire to reshape my aesthetic environment, I see the opportunity to put before myself a completely blank wardrobe that I can work on from the ground up, digging up new methods to help me apply new designs all along the way.

Large-scale pixel art:
The method I came up as part of the previous project for stenciling pixel-art with a light-fixture diffusion grid was not only one of my favorite parts, but showed the most potential for expansion, given its efficiency and quality of final result. I'd like to move this beyond simple character reproduction, and greatly increase the scale of the project to potentially create mural-sized artwork.