Method of approach

At present, my habits and lifestyle are not necessarily conducive to the habits of a good designer. So in order to recreate a system of living that works more in the favor of the act of design itself, I decided to lay out a number of areas in which my design abilities could benefit from small lifestyle changes, as well as the ways I could be expanding my pre-existing design habits/abilities by focusing them towards improvement of daily life.

In theory, the separate efforts reciprocate beneficially, and in turn accomplish that which I set out to do, which is to bring the two elements of my being closer into synchronization. These practices begin to be more harmonious with one another, and the self-identity is forged into that of a true designer.

I started with the purely physical.

In order to truly open up a space for one's design abilities to flourish, one needs a blank canvas. So, in my quest to create an optimal habitation of a designer, I had to take a few big first-steps: A complete takedown of all furniture and decór in my surroundings.

(photos not available quite yet-- but trust me, it was drastic)

Having eliminated all but what I feel truly works for me at the most basic level, I'm left with a whole lot of open space. Having this vast emptiness benefits my work in two respects: firstly, by getting rid of the things that have never really worked for me all that well, I now have a massive amount of space in which I can design for my own personal taste. Secondly, the blankness of the end result is not necessarily pleasing in and of itself-- I am in effect forced to come up with solutions in order to avoid suffering through bleak surroundings.
The space which I have left in which to design my own aesthetic and functional surroundings is somewhat intimidating in its hugeness; however, herein lies an opportunity to expand my designs to an unprecedented scale.


Next: True basics; Fixing and enhancing my furniture.